Thursday, September 28, 2017

Possibly, my new home!

On Monday, I get to go for "negotiations" on what, hopefully, will be my home while I'm in Italy.  The house isn't ancient - I originally wanted something more medieval or renaissance- but it is late Georgian (late 18th/early 19th) so I'm okay with that. There is a fireplace inside but it's closed up for now (I mean, the fireplace itself is visible but the chimney isn't open for smoke right now).  

I'd get the first floor.  The second floor as a separate entrance and is already rented out to another couple.  The house has a fabulous fenced yard and a garage - no fighting for my parking space in the city center!  Also, it's about a mile from work and only a little over a mile from the center of town.  I walked down to it today and it's a very easy walk.   Abigail was quite excited on our long walk around town.  :-)

The first floor apartment (it really is the entire first floor!) has a small kitchen (about the same size as mine at my house in Maryland for those that have been to my house) but has a stunning large entrance, two decent sized bedrooms, a separate living room, a large dining room, and a decent sized bathroom.  There is also plenty of storage in the cellar.  Overall, it's much larger than my home in the States.  

I've been looking up negozi dell'usato or thrift stores in the area.  There are, somewhat predictably, a lot!  Luckily, a few of them do carry furniture so I can probably get a few nice things to have in the house for a decent price.  Also, Ikea is only 20 or 25 minutes away.  I am very much going there to buy the mattresses and probably a few more things for the house.  :-)    My parents are sending me a few boxes of my stuff, but nothing too large.  The biggest furniture items are my favorite bench I take with me to SCA events, my two folding savonarola chairs, and my mother of pearl in lay table I got in Egypt.  Everything else are items like my pots and pans or my fabric.  BTW, one of the first major purchases here in Italy will be a new sewing machine.  :-)

For now, I'm hanging out at the hotel with my animals and we'll see how negotiations go!

1 comment: